Friday, May 24, 2013

Wishful Wednesday

Two days ago on Wednesday May 22nd I drove down to the beach in hopes of catching some stripers off of the breachway.  It was very cloudy with some fog and a cool sea breeze.  Good weather for some fishing!  Yet, as we walked down to the end of the breachway the water was somewhat calm and seemed lower than normal even though the tide was going out.  As I've stated earlier when fishing from the breachway an outgoing tide is perfect for sending a top water lure out and letting it drift in the rip current.  We tried that for about a half hour without even the slightest hit!   Cast after cast I was bringing new weeds of all colors and sizes onto the rocks.

One thing that my grandfather always says is "if you are not getting any hits after 10 or 20 minutes time to change it up!"  Instead of changing just the lure on my line I had already brought a different rod with me which had a bubblegum Ron-Z lure tied to it.  I started casting this directly into the breachway where within three or four casts I had my first fish on!  It whacked the lure and I knew I would be able to reel this one all the way in.  I wasn't about to lose the only fish I had on all day!  Once you catch that first fish the urge to keep fishing is unbelievable.  You just want to keep catching!


This ended up unfortunately being the only fish of the day!  We continued to fish for a while switching back and forth between the Ron-Z and top water lures.  Not even another hit!  Casting is another major aspect of fishing.  The best fishermen can place their lure exactly where they want to in the water.  It has taken me a long time to learn how to perfectly place my casts and I still have not perfected it.  The breachway is only so wide and it would be somewhat easy to throw your lure onto the other side and get caught in the rocks.  Yet, you want to get as close to the other side as possible to have the longest time in the water.  A combination of flicking the wrists and arm speed is the best way to cast.  In tight quarters such as a boat a flick of the wrists may be the only option.  You always want to look back too! Be careful to not hook anybody behind you.  My dad always tells the story of when one of his ears was hooked when fishing with his brothers.  Classic.



No comments:

Post a Comment