Monday, May 20, 2013

Hello All

Hello,

My name is Mitchell Maloof and I am currently a senior at Moses Brown School.  For my final senior project I have decided I will go fishing with my grandfather, Stephen Jordan, learning all of the different techniques and strategies of fishing for striped bass, whether it is out in the boat or simply off the Quonochontaug breachway.  Mr. Jordan is an expert fisherman who has fished a countless number of places around the world and has been fishing in Rhode Island for over thirty-five years.  He and I will be mostly fishing for striped bass, focusing on when, where, and why they are caught the most.  Different tides, times of the day, seasons, lures, water temperatures, and location all impact where a fish will most likely be found.  We may also fish for fluke, black sea bass, and bluefish.

During this project I will also be shadowing as well as fishing with Captain Ron Mouchon.  He is the owner of Breachway Bait and Tackle in Charlestown, Rhode Island.  He is a commercial fisherman who has been fishing in Rhode Island for all of his life.  I will be working at the bait shop, learning from everything that Captain Mouchon has to offer.  He is an extremely knowledgable fisherman and I hope to learn the maximum I can from Captain Mouchon and my Grandfather about striped bass fishing in Rhode Island.

Here is just an image from last year that I will leave you with.  It is a picture from the fourth of July when I was fishing with my grandfather off of the Quonochontaug breachway.  The fish is a striped bass and was caught on a topwater jigging lure.  There was a rough outgoing tide and the water was leaving the pond and flowing out into the ocean.  I made the cast directly into the rip current and let the lure float out further into the rip.  As soon as I started reeling in the fish whacked the lure and I reeled in this striper for about five or ten minutes.  One could easily visibly see the fish jumping out of the water this day in the rip current where they come to feed on the bait coming out of the pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment